Sunday, October 4, 2009

Karlfest 2009


October 3, 2009 marked the 2nd annual Karlfest, an homage to Germany's Oktoberfest, at the Karl Strauss Brewery in Costa Mesa, California. It was an awesome celebration of beer that boasted over 35 different brews on tap with nearly one-third of them produced on location from Karl Strauss--they even had four specialty casks that were tapped every hour throughout the festival. I even got the first commercial pour from the cask of "Red Tide" ale-- a tasty first for me.
Karlfest stayed true to its tagline-- "Local Beer and Local Music"--with three local bands jamming out and nine other microbreweries from Southern California participating, with the proceeds donated to the Surfrider Foundation.
I was already familiar with Karl Strauss since their Endless Summer Light, Amber Lager, Red Trolley Ale and Windansea Hefeweizen are on tap at the Lab, but Karlfest was an excellent and fun introduction to their brewery and what their passion for beer is really all about. It was a fun and open environment for beer enthusiasts and brewers alike. Volunteers like Desmond and Amanda were very knowledgeable and friendly in explaining the beers they were pouring, and I even learned about the SRM scale with respect to beer. (SRM stands for Standard Reference Method, and refers to a beer's color. The higher the SRM, the darker the beer's color.) A very special thank you goes out to Steve and Matt (pictured above) for all of their help and enthusiasm in making Karlfest 2009 a delicious success.
The standout highlight of Karlfest 2009 for me was definitely the Karl Strauss Oktoberfest, which displaced the Red Trolley Ale as my favorite Karl Strauss beer.
Karl Strauss Brewing Company's Oktoberfest
I consider myself very lucky to be able to try this legendary seasonal brew just yards away from the vats it was brewed in. Oktoberfest lagers are beers steeped in centuries of tradition, so I was more than excited to try an interpretation from one of my favorite local microbreweries' backyards.
Appearance: rich, clear amber color with a slightly reddish hue and a nice thick head
Aroma: malty and inviting with hints of caramel
Taste: very approachable toasted malt flavor with hints of smokiness and sweet caramel
Alcohol: 5%
This beer was a clear favorite for me out of nearly 30 that I tasted at Karlfest. It is a smooth and rich lager that goes down easy and would pair well with hearty meats, especially bratwurst and other German sausages. I think the Karl Strauss Brewery stayed true to the tradition and ceremony of Oktoberfest and did its German ancestry proud with their Oktoberfest brew. I recommend Karl Strauss' Oktoberfest to anyone who enjoys smoky sweet lagers--but act quickly as it is only available September through October. I highly recommend Karlfest to anyone who enjoys beer festivals or wants to support an amazing local microbrewery in Southern California. I can't wait til Karlfest 2010!
For more information check out the Karl Strauss website at www.karlstrauss.com




1 comment:

  1. Ashley,
    Wish I would have known about it, sounds like it was a lot of fun !!
    Keep up the good work.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete