Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Abita Abbey Ale

Greetings! I was at BevMo the other day and decided to try a new beer from Abita--a Louisiana brewery I knew from drinking their popular Purple Haze (review on that to follow in the near future).
I am quite fond of the abbey style beers, so I thought I would give the Abbey Ale a shot.
Abita Abbey Ale
The Abita Abbey Ale is a double ale--meaning it is fermented twice, giving it more flavor and a higher alcohol percentage.
Appearance: dark, chocolatey colored, with a caramel and moderately foamy head
Aroma: slightly hoppy, with hints of fig, clove and other spices
Taste: decent, with little carbonation, mild hop flavor and a figgy finish
Alcohol: 8.0%
Overall I would say it was a decent abbey ale and a great bargain beer--1 pint 6 oz is a mere $5, and I think it would pair nicely with a mild cheese like provolone.
Fun Fact: Abita uses spring water to brew their beers and also gives a 25 cent donation to St. Joseph's Abbey with every bottle purchase.
I would recommend this beer to anyone who enjoys abbey ales, only wants to spend a few dollars to try something different, or any fan of the Abita Brewery. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment