Monday, August 31, 2009

Unibroue Blanche de Chambly

Sundays are for impromptu beer tastings!
While my friend Bonnie and I were perusing the aisles at BevMo, we stumbled upon Unibroue's Blanche de Chambly and decided that for $6, we simply had to try it. I was familiar with the Unibroue brewery because I had tried and loved their Fin Du Monde (review on that beer to follow in the near future) so I was excited to see what else they had to offer in the way of delicious brews.
Unibroue Blanche de Chambly
The Unibroue brewery is located in Canada and specializes in Belgian strong ales. The Blanche de Chambly is actually an unfiltered "white ale on lees". After the brewing process, the fresh yeast in the bottle leads to a secondary refermentation, and those deposits are referred to as "lees". (information taken from www.wikipedia.com) (And who said drinking wasn't educational?)
Appearance: pale gold in color, unfiltered and cloudy with a moderately thick white head
Aroma: very light hops, floral elements and a tiny hint of orange peel
Taste: lightly carbonated, yeasty start with a floral hop finish, hints of citrus and vanilla
Alcohol: 5.0%
This beer was a tasty Canadian interpretation of a Belgian white ale. It was very affordable at $6 for a 750 mL bottle and was a very light and refreshing brew. I would recommend this to any white ale lover or someone who enjoys Belgian ales, but does not want to be overwhelmed with flavor. I must say that while I appreciate and respect the Unibroue brewery, I definitely prefer La Fin Du Monde over the Blanche de Chambly, and still think Hoegaarden has set the standard for amazing Belgian white ales.

No comments:

Post a Comment