Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Lindeman's Peche Lambic

As you are probably figuring out, I simply love Belgian beers--they're phenomenal. I am obsessed with Belgian white ales, but Belgium is also credited with creating a unique style of ale--the lambic. Lambics are a rare and sweet style of beer that is only brewed in Brussels and the Pajottenland region of Belgium. They are unique not only because of the limited locales that produce them, but also because they are brewed using spontaneous fermentation. Lambics are made with unmalted wheat, wild yeast from the Senne valley and barley. After spontaneous fermentation from the addition of the live yeast, pieces of fruit are added, creating a secondary fermentation. (Information taken from Lindeman's bottle label)
Lindeman's Peche Lambic
Appearance: Golden, deep honey color with minute white head
Aroma: incredibly sweet peach aroma, strong peach candy scent with light hints of yeast
Taste: syrupy, very sweet peach flavor with mild carbonation and a dry finish
Alcohol: between 3.0 and 4.0%

If I had to write a review of this lambic in one word it would be-- "Sweet!" and I mean that in the traditional interpretation of the word. My friend Bonnie and I decided to branch out a bit and try something out of the normal range of our tastebuds, so this was a fun experiment. In my opinion, lambics are great for a tasting, but finishing more than a sip was tough for me, because it was almost like drinking a peach soda--a little too sweet. I would definitely recommend the lambics to people who like fruity beers or don't like hop flavor whatsoever. I can appreciate the lambics for what they are to the Belgian beer world, but I will stick with my Belgian whites, thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Will be waiting to see your report from the beer festival that happened to today (9/19/09) at Paramount Studios! ...that is, if you ended up going (as I would expect you would)...

    ReplyDelete