Monday, November 2, 2009

...Because Every Beer Has a Story: The Elusive Allagash Fluxus 2008


I dedicate this entry to Nate Nelson, for inspiring me to chase down the fluxus in the first place.
It all started when Nate (who I consider a true master of all things beer) told me about a delicious limited release beer called the Allagash Fluxus that they had on tap at Father's Office. Unfortunately, I did not make it down there before all the other appreciators of tasty brews did, and missed it. I then went on a quest, searching at all BevMo's and grocery stores in the area--even the Allagash website--and couldn't get ahold of it. I had almost come to terms with the idea that the universe just did not want me to experience this fluxus when out of nowhere, life gave me a green light. I was getting my car fixed and had to kill an hour (ugh), so I wandered around and found a liquor store (*The anonymity of the store must be maintained for now, due to the fact that it is an awesome hidden mecca of limited quantities of amazing rare beers*) Not only was this not your average liquor store, I was delighted to discover that they had an inventory of hundreds of beers from all over the world. I was scouring the shelves for names I recognized, and lo and behold, picturesque in slow motion and glimmering spotlight, was the Allagash Fluxus 2008.
Allagash Fluxus 2008
Appearance: Honey colored and unfiltered, with visible sediment and glorious white bubbly head that lightly laced the glass
Aroma: Very inviting spicy aroma with hints of nutmeg, coriander and if you inhale deeply, you can smell hints of white pepper
Taste: Incredible flavors of coriander and even grapefruit at the beginning, with hints of banana and fig rounding out the middle and a smooth, clove/spicy finish, with excellent carbonation
Alcohol: 8.6%
I feel as though I am taunting the audience by putting up a flattering review for a beer that is basically extinct, but it was so well done that I had to immortalize it here. What makes this beer so unique and desirable for me is the limited quantity the Allagash Brewery produces and the fact that the fluxus recipe changes, or fluctuates every year. The Allagash Fluxus is on the pricier end of the spectrum, with a 750 mL bottle costing about $17.00, but it was so delicious I would pay it again in a millisecond, given the chance. The Allagash Fluxus 2008 will always hold a special spot on my palate because it became more than just a beer, it became an experience. It gave me a taste of what it is like to dream about a brew, chase it down and then revel in the adventure.

1 comment:

  1. Beer Babe. Great meeting you and sharing beer stories. Back in DC, the show went well and now off to NYC.

    Looking forward hearing about today's outing and all of the great beer's you enjoyed!

    Cheer,

    Mr. Mc

    ReplyDelete