Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Weihenstephaner Vitus


On Saturday, November 7th, I was lucky enough to attend the much anticipated Big 100 Gourmet Beer Tasting in downtown Burbank. There were only 100 people in attendance--all of them beer enthusiasts, all of them thirsty. The impressive roster boasted over 100 breweries from all over the world. Countries as far as Belgium, Germany and Japan were represented, along with a few local breweries right here in California. When I ask people which countries are known for brewing high quality beer, most tend to answer with Belgium or Germany. I personally am obsessed with Belgian beers, so I would say Belgium before the question was over. I knew Germany is another huge name in beer--with their Oktoberfest and the German Beer Purity Law--but I had never experienced a German beer that delighted my palate in the same way select Belgian brews had. That is, until Weihenstephaner's Vitus.
Weihenstephaner Vitus
Weihenstephaner is the oldest brewery in the world and was founded in 1040. That means the brewers have had nearly 900 years to hone and perfect their beer making process. I have tried five of the Weihenstephaner brews, and all of them are amazing. The Vitus embodies the apex of their talents and is truly a spectacular example of the pride Germans take in their brews.
Tim Lynch, the witty and knowledgeable representative for the brewery, aptly described the Vitus as a "hefeweizen on steroids." It has all the characteristics of a classic hefeweizen, except everything has been amped up--more flavor and higher alcohol percentage.
Appearance: Similar to a classic hefeweizen, it is honey colored, cloudy and unfiltered with healthy amounts of thick, white head
Aroma: Strong banana nose with spices like cloves and just a hint of yeast and biscuits
Taste: True to the nose with a fantastic banana flavor at the start, a citrus/lemon bite in the middle and a very mellow finish. It has decent carbonation and is smooth and sweet.
Alcohol: 7.7%
I highly recommend this beer to anyone who wants to taste the type of beer that put Germany at the center of the beer brewing universe. It is a phenomenal brew from a well respected brewery whose legacy spans over nine centuries, yet it's very affordable. A pint costs only $3 and can be found at most liquor stores with a decent beer selection. I think it would pair well with light fare like a salad, but it could easily be enjoyed by itself. Cheers to you Germany, or should I say, Anfeuerungen, for introducing me to this delicious Hercules of hefeweizens.


4 comments:

  1. Whens the next SoCal beer event? It sounds like an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When are you guys going to sell some good Hefe at the Lab ?

    Hope you're doing fine !! Tell Jamie I said hi !

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Tim there is Ballast Point Night at the Daily Pint on December 4th so check it out!

    And Mark, I have been trying to get Willie to get a good selection of hef/white ales since I started there! Everyone seems to think Blue Moon is sufficient, but I am going to keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. heyyo my darling cousin! i am just chilling enjoying the sweet comforts of a Fat Tire amber ale! The plus side of living in freezing in chicago is that i can keep my beer stock on the balcony outside! Yumski's!! well i love you and thinking of you! CHEERS!

    ReplyDelete