Sunday, February 28, 2010

St. Feuillien Saison

I was having a conversation with one of my regulars about the delicious world of Belgian beers when he told me about Lucky Baldwin's Belgian Beer Festival. Once he said that they had over 80 different Belgian brews on tap, I was sold--I simply had to go. Lucky Baldwin's is a British pub in Pasadena that has hosted an annual Belgian Beer Festival for the past decade. This beer festival was a bit different than others I have attended previously in that it was hosted by a bar and specialized around Belgian brews. They had a fine selection that would make any beer lover's mouth water and did an excellent job of showcasing Belgium's finest exports. If I had the time and a designated driver, I would have loved to try all 80, but I decided to start the night off with something I knew and loved, but can never get ahold of: St. Feuillien's Saison.
St. Feuillien Saison
Appearance: Cloudy, hay-colored and unfiltered with an orange hue with light white head that left decent lacing on the glass
Aroma: Very subtle, light, yeasty and inviting with notes of fruit (apple and citrus) and honey
Taste: Crisp, sweet delicious and refreshing. Well balanced with sweet yeasty malts at the beginning, hints of apple with a little zip of citrus hops to round it out
I thought this beer was an excellent candidate for my review of Lucky Baldwin's Belgian Beer Festival because the saison style originated in the French-speaking region of Wallonia, Belgium. {"Saison" is the French word for season, because this style of beer was originally brewed in the winter, to refresh farmers during the sweltering summer harvests. (Information taken from www.wikipedia.org/wiki/saison)} I first tried St. Feuillien's Saison at the Big 100 Beer Tasting in November, fell in love with it, and have not been able to find it anywhere out here, so the fact that Lucky Baldwin's had it on tap speaks volumes about the quality of their beer selection. The saison style was designed to be enjoyed during the summer months, but this approachable brew could easily be enjoyed year-round (if you can find it!). I highly recommend pairing this with lighter cuisine like a cheese and fruit plate--the flavors are especially complimented by Bosch pears and Manchego cheese. I strongly encourage anyone who enjoys Belgian beers, the saison style or anyone with adventurous palate to try St. Feuillien's Saison. Cheers!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Ashley, like the blog. Enjoyed meeting you at Busby's. I recently tried the the St. Feuillien Tripel, and the Dupont Foret Organic Saison at the Trappist in Oakland, CA. I can never resist a great Saison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Thanks for checking it out (= I will let you know about any more incredible saisons I stumble upon

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://listverse.com/2008/12/07/top-10-unusual-uses-for-beer/

    this is actually a pretty cool reason to always have beer! thought you would enjoy! love you cousin!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there lady! It's Lorin =)
    Just thought I'd drop by and say hello since I'm having a brewsky with your beautiful cousin...we're sipping a Leffe, and this is my first time tasting it. I must say it is quite delicious! It's got a light taste, accented by our chilly weather, and it definitely differs from my usual Heineken.
    And by the way, I finally tasted Delirium last night from Audrey's chalice, damn these Belgians make some good beer!
    Ok gotta run! Achilles is trying to get to my Leffe! Miss you, mwa*

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.weirdworm.com/10-weird-beer-facts/

    more facts for you cousin!!

    ReplyDelete